Toilet Installation Part I
So, this is part one of the toilet installation. Let me tell you a little bit about my toilet. Sit back, it’s a long one…
So, here is the story… About 6 weeks ago, I am finally getting ready to install my toilet, the one received just about a full year earlier… You can read about it HERE. A basic run down of the story goes like this though: I ordered a composting toilet from a ‘reputable dealer’ locally here named Sue. Sue was found via Sun-Mar’s website and at the time was the only local dealer. Sue gave me a receipt for the following items:Centrex 2000 NE Composting Toilet $1,795.00Toilet $ 295.00AF/Waterless Kit $ 135.00Estimated Shipping $ 200.00Sub-Total $2,425.00Discount – $ 425.00Balance Due $2,000.00The NE in that model number stands for non-electric… What Sue actually ordered was the electric model (which the company said they cannot even rectify because it was her mistake, though I am past asking for that to be rectified). The electric version has different (bigger) dimensions and a required plug-load, the main reasons I went with the NON electric… Well that isn’t what I got and I made my peace with that…At the same time I also ordered with it the toilet part and the water-less conversion kit which I was told I would need, that made enough sense to me. I received one box with the toilet part in it (it arrived broken) and with misc. pieces. I don’t know exactly what is entailed in the water-less conversion kit (it is not pictured anywhere on the website) but I expected a separate box for it since it was a separate ticket item. I only ever received the two boxes. So about a week after receiving it last June I called the ‘reputable dealer’, Sue, and explained that I wouldn’t be installing the toilet in the near future (I did expect to have it installed by this point mind you, but life happens, backs get broken etc…) and that I was concerned that I was missing a piece. She assured me that everything I needed was in the box with the toilet. I have not given it a second thought. All this time the boxes have been sitting in the corner of my dads shop, ready to be installed when I was ready for it, according to the company and their dealer.NOW, I am getting ready to install the thing, it looks as though I am missing pieces. Important pieces. I called the company (directly mostly because Sue is sort of nutty, extreme prepper style), I provided my receipt and explained the whole story and was told that there was nothing that they could do, they show that the items were delivered in two separate shipments eight days apart which I can guarantee that there was only ever one shipment received. Aside from that I was told when the shipment was coming so that I could take an hour or two off work to be there when it was delivered, which I did (I was told it would come in one shipment, on a semi, from New York) . I was never told of two shipments and honestly just don’t believe it.So their answer… “it’s been a year, there is nothing they can do” after they ‘did their research’. Sun-Mar seems to be ok with delivering a sub-par, incomplete and broken product by all accounts.How on earth a company can see it as acceptable to ship the wrong order both incomplete and broken is beyond me. What stinks right now though is that I have spent $2,000 and I literally do not have a usable product. There is no way to install this unless I give Sun-Mar MORE money for something I have already bought.I feel trapped and swindled most definitely. I absolutely cannot, in any way, recommend Sun-Mar to anyone, and I would HIGHLY encourage you to avoid their products unless they rectify this situation.*update – after contacting the company and explaining the situation further to the president along with sending a copy of the blog I intended to post I was contacted by the head of their customer service department, told that the second package was in fact never signed for and that the other customer service rep should have been able to see that and that I should not have been left hanging like I was with an unusable product and no solution. They agreed to send me another conversion kit at their expense. I was told it would be here in a week and a half. At the week and a half mark I was contacted and told that it was back-ordered and would not be in for another week and a half and then they would ship it to me. I explained that this has held up my construction for several weeks and asked them if they could over-night it to me so I could install it ASAP since I am already living in my house with no facilities. I received a response that it would be sent on standard UPS, end of story. Three weekends passed and then it finally arrived. Long story short, they did the bare minimum to even get me the pieces I need to make this a functioning composting toilet… I am not impressed. I debated back and forth on whether or not to post this but transparency has always been key for me and this build is no exception. I feel like my experience is going to be helpful to someone. I am just in shock at how their business is ran, even if they did do the bare minimum to make things right, I still ended up with the wrong unit and a broken toilet. Though soon I hope to be able to use my own bathroom, it will be nice not to have to make nightly trips to James’s house, especially as the pregnancy continues further.Oh yeah, I’m pregnant! 😉 (more on that later)Thank you everyone for letting me vent.
That all being said here are some pictures of its installation part one as well as a few extras including my electrical closet doors and some Denny! At the bottom there are a couple of links to some videos of Denny going up and down the stairs! I can’t figure out how to embed them… the internet is hard sometimes 😉