35 Things I Feel Are Important To Do By 35
Happy birthday to me! I read this article once, when I was 30, about 30 things you should do by 30. While entertaining I read it with a bit of sarcasm. Things like ‘own your own umbrella’, ‘start your 401k’, ‘have your career well under way’ (what does that even mean!). I don’t know, maybe those are good things but I still don’t have an umbrella and I’m ticking over 35 today! Perhaps that particular list wasn’t right for me but I do like the idea of reflecting on our life on this planet regularly as a way to move forward in an intentional way. Here are 35 things I think are important.
By 35 you should:
- Be able to follow your intuition and not be heavily influenced by peer pressure.
- Focused on paying off your debts.
- Take at least one long road trip.
- Follow politics and think independently about issues rather than parties.
- Have some sort of financial plan for supporting yourself when you are too old to work manual/mental labor.
- Create. Every day if you can. Do something that inspires your happiness.
- Have a ‘bucket list’ accessible for reference.
- Challenge your fears regularely.
- Help others and help your community often.
- Carry $20 in your purse/wallet for emergencies.
- Forgive yourself for mistakes made in your youth.
- Have a weeks worth of meals you can whip out without a recipe and without a microwave.
- Be passionate about something and share that, get involved in it’s path.
- Learn how to make a good apology (there are four parts!) and offer it first every so often ;-).
- Read books.
- Floss your teeth!
- Accept compliments and say ‘thank you’ often.
- Choose quality. Friends, furnishings, food, fun.
- Drink more water.
- Picnic as often as possible, preferably outside.
- Try new hairstyles.
- Know how to use a power tool.
- Learn how to invest your money.
- Wear sunscreen.
- Ask questions.
- Appreciate the good in others.
- Appreciate good people more than good things.
- Time > Money, act accordingly. You can always earn another dollar, you can’t earn another minute.
- Never sacrifice honestly, integrity and self-respect they are valuable assets.
- Choose your words wisely, they can haunt you.
- If you think a nice thing, say the nice thing.
- Be able to say ‘no’ it’s more important than saying ‘yes’. Learn which is necessary and when.
- Chose your company well, you are the average of the people you spend the most time with.
- Realize that you can’t please everyone, that’s okay.
- Slow down, enjoy deeper. Being ‘busy’ isn’t a metric of how good your life is.
I expect this to be a big year of meaningful changes and shifts for me and that’s exciting! I am off to paint away the rest of the day! Thank you all for the kind words over the years and being a positive part of my life! Wishing you all a great year ahead too!