Hazel turned one! We made it. A whole year! We’re still together, after a whole year! We are different people than we once were, all because of this little cutie!
It’s been the best ride I never knew I would want to take! We are so proud of Hazel whose personality is starting to shine through more and more clearly everyday. I want to do a recap and celebrate making it together as a family for a whole year!
For Hazel, this year I’ve been surprised by…
- How much I adore you, every little thing you do is amazing.
- How fast you learn! (I’ve got to stop swearing!)
- How thoughtful and careful you are to take care of yourself.
- How stinking hard it can be to be a ‘happy family’. Sleep deprivation, tested nerves, displacement from what used to be my life, that is hard stuff to take on all at once!
- How talented your dad is at what he does, and that he can be such a great multi-tasker!
This year I’ve been inspired…
- By your inquisitiveness about the entire world.
- By your grin, that elusive grin.
- By your gusto and fearlessness, how many babies will walk up to a 150# dog, grab him by the cheek and make him lay down so she can crawl all over him!
- To make the world a better place for you to grow up in, to actively help in your future so you can thrive!
- To challenge you, you’re going to be a handful to keep challenged, you’re so smart.
This year I am proud…
- Of how much you’ve learned in such a short time.
- That you’re MY daughter, I feel like I got the best one!
- That you have my bald head and just a couple little blond curls.
- On that note, you don’t have a weird shaped head, if you ever want to shave it you can know that, it would probably look alright
- That you don’t take any crap from other kids, just yesterday we were at the park, you were playing with a ball we had just got you, a 6 year old walked up and took it from you then ran off to play with the other kids. You followed him, reached up, grabbed the ball and walked back over to me. You didn’t get upset or anything, didn’t cry or scream, just didn’t accept that crap and took t right back! I was so proud!
I am so excited to…
- See what colors you like best
- See what kind of music you’ll be into, so far you’re a death metal fan, I am hoping that changes!
- See if you’ll be into dinosaurs, or fairies or fire trucks or ponies!
- See if you’ll be a little introvert like your parents or if you’ll want to always be around people, I am thinking introvert already but that could all change :).
- Watch you learn and explore the world!
I love you because…
- You’re silly.
- You’re opinionated.
- You chatter yourself to sleep every night and can’t fall asleep without talking yourself into it, literally.
- You’re special.
- You’re my daughter.
Here are some pictures from your first birthday party. We started the day with some blueberry pancakes, had a nice long nap but someone was still grumpy for her party… skittles helped. We went with a Dr. Seuss theme because, well he’s awesome. It also allowed me to not have to be perfect at my lesser used cake decorating skills, out of square looks intentional in Seuss-land :). I got her a copy of ‘Oh, The Places You’ll Go’ because its such a great book. We had the whole family sign it and plan to have it every year so that she can have an ongoing birthday record of words of encouragement, proud moments and what have you from her family and loved ones!
I hope you feel as blessed and grateful as I do right now!