Category Archives: Trailer Stuff

Things having to do with the trailer and integration of it

Update 6.09.13 – Moving Day!

I apologize for being so late to update, it has been a BUSY couple of days!  I Moved!

IMG_20130609_143359_021

I had a LONG weekend, picked up around my folks’ farm, I made three distinct messes as my house moved around… Packed up my tiny house and got it ready for moving.  Then Sunday was the big day.  Originally my friend Jed was planning on helping me move Sunday around noon.  He was right on time and came over only to find out his truck is TOO big :).  He has an extended flat bed which made it about a foot to big to be able to fit under my hitch.  It was a good effort but it just wouldn’t work.  I almost called off the whole thing but then I decided, hey, this is what its like when you don’t own a truck… try some other options.  I posted an ad on Craigslist but then was too impatient to even wait.  I instantly called a tow truck to see how much they would charge to move me the 21 miles I needed to go.  I called the first one and they said they could do it but instead gave me the name of a guy with a dually, just in case.  Turns out that was a great call on their part.  Called the guy, he did ‘want’ to help on a Sunday but said he would and it would cost between $100-$110 to move it.  That was actually cheaper than I thought he would say.  I didn’t want to surprise him when he came out so I was sure to tell him it was a ‘home-made RV’ (which is what they technically are generally).  He said it would be fine.   He came out, hooked everything up, we had to modify the light wire so that it would plug in but other than that it went pretty smooth.  We couldn’t get a good ground to the truck so the hazards didn’t work well but all the other lights worked great.  I followed close behind and took way too many pictures (I only posted maybe half of them and it’s still a lot for one trip… I was nervous!) as we nervously went down the road.

He said it traveled really well, it was HEAVY.  His guesstimate is between 15k-18k pounds.   I still think that is way too high knowing all the materials I put into it.  We were not able to swing by a scale unfortunately to get a weight :(.  Eventually that will happen but in the short-term I am going to add up the materials and get a rough estimate now that it’s pretty much complete.   He did say that it is the heaviest thing he’s ever pulled but also that it pulled very straight and well.

Dad and mom followed down to complete the caravan with their tractor so we could get the site ready.  I moved downtown and am renting an empty lot from James.   The tractor made extremely short work of leveling the place and even digging a hole where the remote composting bin will be located.   I am very fortunate to have the family I do, it would have been a whole weekend long project at least otherwise!

We had a little mishap while backing the trailer in place, the ground was so soft that the trailer sunk a good 6-8 inches so there was a point that the tractor was just plowing it back there.  Unfortunately after the trailer got a few miles on its new axles the leaf springs and U-bolts got a little better acquainted and loosened up.  two of the axle’s leaf springs had a little bump out that holds the U-bolt in place when tightened down, I remember now thinking ‘what’s that for and why doesn’t this axle have it?’  Well now I know. With the sideways pressure the middle axle actually slipped on the leaf spring and was touching the front wheel.  Not to self, if replacing axles get a few miles on them then tighten again.   At first I freaked a little and thanked someone that it happened at our final destination instead of on the road somewhere but it really wouldn’t have happened anywhere else or there either if we weren’t plowing through the lawn instead of rolling through it.  It was a slight snag, we had to jack up that side of the trailer and put it back in place on the leaf spring then we (James) tightened down all the others to be sure.  then BAM, dad moved it into place.

On the way over I only noticed a single person who was mouth open looking at whatever contraption that was rolling down the road.  James was nice enough to ride with the tow dude, Gary (I think), and he may be able to speak to whether they noticed others.  There were just a couple of people who walked by while we were placing it who made a comment about it being ‘neat’.  And ‘Oh, it’s a house, cool!’.  It actually fits really well in the neighborhood too, it’s hard to actually see unless you’re right next to it.

So that Sunday was followed but a 16 hour work day Monday to catch up for a deadline or I would have updated sooner.  This afternoon I go get the new title for my ‘brand new’ 2013 RV.  and then I will try to snap some more photos of where the house is at now, below are all the process photos of the move, sorry, I know there are a ton!

Things still left to do:

  • Install water line at new location
  • Install composting toilet
  • Build media center/book shelf
  • Build 10 drawers for kitchen/dresser
  • Second coat of paint on the mill-work
  • Recover couch
  • Electrical closet doors
  • Hook up radiant floor heat
  • Build the fence for Denny

As you can see there are still plenty of project to keep me going before I can call this complete, I will be sticking around a little while longer on this topic at least and may start to post about my other projects I have going on too.  Just because you never say it enough though, thank you for sticking with me through this project, the encouragement you give me goes a LONG way!

About these ads

Update 6.4.13

Just some pictures, in today’s episode my dad nearly burned off his leg, my axles are lifted and all is well there, we moved it again, I have the inspector coming by in about a half hour and my door is green!