We committed today on a color scheme! Blue and yellow, modern, sustainable, low VOC. Our first step was getting the function figured out, we feel like we nailed that. Next we get to ‘style’ things. I have to say, our Travel Trailer is going to be great! Here is a general idea material board I put together after today’s purchases.
(More on each item below)
I also started our budget sheet for our trailer, which I will update through the build. At this point we are at $760.31 which includes the cost of the trailer, fabric and such up to this point. Our goal is under $3,000 but I will be aiming for and thrilled to be under $2,000. (Just a heads up there will be a website redesign soon that will make it easier to follow along with this rebuild)
These are the fabrics I picked up today since a store locally was having a HUGE sale, I saved at least 60% on everything, it was hard not to go overboard, but I don’t have the ideas fleshed out just yet so I restrained myself as much as I could… Yellow was James’s idea, I had way too many options in front of me to be able to choose well, he was the much needed decisive one.
As with most of our stuff the hardware accents will be brushed nickle, it’s clean and sleek, we like it.
Rather than white walls we hope to be able to pull off something clean and natural-ish looking with just finished plywood
Low VOC and sustainable is going to be a big helper in making decisions, we feel like having a good floor product that won’t off gas will be critical in such a little space, we’re looking at cork as an option, there are a lot of styles, I think it will be comfy for denver to lay his delicate elbows on and will work hard to hide dirt! Always a plus.
Right now we are debating between wheat board millwork like this
or Kirie board like this, both are made from reclaimed agricultural waste.
both can be pretty beautiful IMO.
James and I both agreed that we can’t move onto this trailer project fully until we finish our latest project, the deck. We have been working our tail off trying to get that done so we can stop feeling guilty about working on the trailer anyway :). My mom just happened to invite me shopping with her to pick up some fabric to make some blankets for her soon to be grand-kid (not mine! :)). It was too much to resist, we saved more than we spend and got pretty much all we need to finish out the camper, cloth wise. There were too many choices for me to choose alone so I had to bring James down to be decisive, I like what he picked! These were the possibles.
I think ultimately the trailer will have the feel of being light and airy, it will be great to see it unfold!
And this is what’s been going on in our life outside of this little project:
I’m building a propane fire pit, out of wood… it will be ok guys, really :)
The deck is coming together
We even started staining it!
and making random furniture out of the scraps… because why not
And we got a new BBQ, I have been budget cooking on it
This meal cost under $10, for all three plates… I have this weird thing where I try to compete with myself to make the most healthy/delicious meal for as cheap as possible… I win a lot of the time… :)
Hazel got to go swimming at the Y
They bond over matching sippies
This little nugget is growing up!
This one discoverd that she likes ring pops… blue ones if you couldn’t tell
My friend Carissa graduated from High School!
Some step in deck work
The story of our lives
Denver figured out how to use the new couch
These two are pretty decent friends
A night shot, complete with blinky lights!
And this. This is a cute human. He likes driving! (we weren’t really driving, just playing while Hazel napped…)
The weather is getting nicer, that means I’ll get o build shortly! In preparation I’m getting my material list together for the tiny house renovation. It’s nothing fancy, just some quick drawings to figure out what I need to see more of the design you can look here. Here is what I have:
(17) – 10′ 2x4s – New
(3) – 8′ 2x4s – New
(1) – 10′ 2x6s – New
Nails/Screws – New
Tyvek (scrap) – Salvaged
TPO Roof OR sealant tape (I will have to patch the window opening in the patio, not sure I want a patched hole or to redo the entire section of roof)
(7) 2′ x 10′ corrugated metal sheets – Salvaged
Flashing – (I think I have enough left over)
30″ door – Salvaged
(8) 3/8″ or 1/4″ drywall/mud/tape – New
(2) 1×2 poplar trim – New
(3) 1×4 poplar trim – New
(6) tubed of caulk – New
(4)1-1/2″ insulation, 4’x8′ – Salvage/new
(8)2″ insulation, 4’x8′ – Salvage/new
90 degree angle for water heater vent (this will need to be relocated) – New
(4) Plywood sheathing – I have
(1) bedroom Light fixture – Salvage/New
(2) Switches and electrical boxes – New
(3) Outlets and boxes – New
Electrical wire – New
Wood flooring throughout – Salvaged
This I don’t have a material list for, I’ll get that together once I get done with the walls and such. This bunk bed setup will have storage up above and below, along with a couple roll out storage bins/stools to read bedtime stories. I will be reusing the co-sleeper I made and converting it into a bunk and using the rail as the toddler rail. In reality the new baby will be co-sleeping with us for a while (and I’m sure Hazel will find herself back in our area at times too… its what kids do). So in reality the bottom bunk may be the only one used for a while but I want to have both spaces available.