Travel Trailer Update
7 weeks to go!
We had a lot on our to-do list and we didn’t do a lot of them… Still, we got some done.
- On Friday we had no (water) plumbing. Today we have all of the supply plumbing done.
- I fixed the bunks to extend easier (I had messed it up in the past, finally fixed it)
- Changed up the location of the tail lights. They were horizontal but we wanted them vertical.
- Built some storage nooks in the couch and kid’s bunks.
- Worked on our dining table… still not a great solution there yet…
- We moved it out into the sunshine to test the plumbing. It was SUPER easy and weighted well. I’m happy about that!
I’ve updated our budget sheet. We are at $3,307.95 total. We have about $500 more to spend. Including the insulation primarily and the vinyl decal for the driver side (picture included below). Our original financial goal was $1.500 but it was to be a renovation, not a complete rebuild. I feel like we are doing pretty good for being a total rebuild. I will be happy to come in under $5,000.
It’s funny, as I watch some of these other rebuilds ad see the prices it makes me think that flipping vintage trailers could be a fun gig. Some are in pretty good shape but there seems to be a lot of folks in want of a vintage trailer and people like them to be cool…. I like to make custom cool things! By the looks of it we could probably sell this trailer for more than 10k… probably closer to 20k… which seems good. I’m not sure we would be making much on our time really but if we did a second one it’s sure to go lots faster… 😉 It’s just a passing idea.
We’re getting into the planning now of our route (year+ long road trip). It’s tricky to find a route with places that 1) have Wi-Fi (so we can work) 2) allow kids 3) allow a dog. We’re doing the broad strokes right now, applying a rough timeline. We will have weekly meetings to reassess and keep ‘on track’ as much as we want to. This is what we have for our first leg so far:
Google Maps is great for collaborating, importing in a bunch of overlays that we can turn on and off. James has Krav Maga places on a layer so he can keep taking his classes when we’re near a location that has them. We’ll probably have a zoos & aquarium layer, kid friendly campsites, etc. Our second leg would be something like this:
This is a BIG adventure for such a dinkie little Aloha!
The kids are getting excited. I think Hazel even understands to an extent what we are in for. Miles will do ok, he is at a tricky stage and we will absolutely have to keep a close eye on him… he’s a rebel and he likes to run and hide. Both traits aren’t great for being in new places. He may just get a leash, as much as I hate to be that mom… I would hate more for something to happen to the little worm!
Denver actually likes the trailer! I have been worried about him but as it comes together I think he will be just fine! Oddly, maybe, we are starting to get a fair bit of criticism for taking him along. Some people think that is unfair. I think he will love it, there is a lot of adventure to be had for a dog in the world! I think it would be a whole lot more unfair to give him to someone else while we go on the trip… he’s a member of our family and is far more important than this trip. If he doesn’t do well we won’t force him through anything, we will postpone our trip. Seriously, he’s family, we aren’t leaving him. I can’t understand the critical views that think it’s better to leave him behind than take him with.
James and I are running through the emotions. This is big and daunting! The impending chaos is ‘getting real’. It’s slightly scary. In reality, it’s out of our comfort zone. But it’s still where we want to be. I feel like we are both resorting to our comfort zones and trying to plan the fears away. That’s the thing, there is so much we CAN’T plan… and even if we did… it wouldn’t matter. Things are going to happen. The best thing we can do is try to become comfortable with the unknown. So we’re trying that. It is much easier said than done though… Turns out ;-).