Well, I caught up on a few things tonight, I have officially crested $10,000 spent. You can view more specifics about my budget HERE, I expect to actually spend at least a grand more, I still need to purchase my washer/dryer as well as my water heater. I feel like I am still inside of my budget, I didn’t initially intend on including my appliances and whatnot but it is all in there! This brings me to my next idea. I am doing lots of looking around and comparing, I would love it if there was a place that I could read reviews on various products put out by other tiny house folks. There is no shortage of reviews but when I am reading reviews for water heaters for example, the people who are writing them are obviously not tiny house people and therefore use the product differently, perhaps they expect too much or whatever reason but I am finding that a good portion of the reviews are not applicable for my case. A while back I had the idea to start something like that and then tinyhousegear.com popped up and I was stoked that someone was already on that. I love tiny house gear but I am not finding it to be what I am looking for, does anyone else have that problem? If I was to start something like that up would there be people willing to review whatever various products they have experience with or just offer insight to why they may have or may not have selected a product? I like to perpetuate helpful things but I only really want to spend the time there if it is something that would get used and commented on for the good of the whole community? Let me know your thoughts.
So, since I am looking at water heaters I will post my thoughts here, THIS is the particular unit I am looking at purchasing. After a lot of research here are the reasons I have landed on this one:
- I want decent flow, I like abusive showers. My dad (a very good plumber) had said early on that I would probably ideally want 3-5 GPM flow from whatever heater I got. This one is 3.4 GPM, on the lower end of that but I have noticed a lot of other tiny house folks get the L10 model from this company that has almost a gallon less per minute flow and they claim to be really happy with it. I don’t think I am too much different than most.
- I want a unit that can be installed indoors. Should there be any reason to make any adjustments I don’t see the most opportune time being when I am getting out of or into the shower.
- I want a propane powered unit so that when this goes off grid it is a bit easier to handle.
- I would prefer a ventless unit but I just don’t think I’ll be able to find that… this one comes with all the venting materials (no extra costs like most others) and I think i can be tricky enough to hid this behind the rain-screen wall…
- Lastly, I am installing this under my kitchen sink so I have a fairly limited space to deal with, this is a pretty compact unit by comparison, it seems like I can work it!
Does anyone have any insights to this unit or others that may work just as well or better? My dad is going to call some of his suppliers in the morning and see if they have something similar that maybe we can get a deal on. I’ll be crossing my fingers for that! Also, I totally know that I missed the boat on the 25% discount that Eccotemp was running for tiny house folks, sorry Andrew, I tried to squeeze in there, I was just too swamped :). You’re a rock star for piloting that deal!
Ok, onto the real update. I don’t have a ton of pictures, I spent my evening painting the cabinets before tiling, I figured it would be a lot easier because I wouldn’t have to tape anything off. It worked! I did however mess with the tiles and start thinking about how I’m going to be laying them out… Here are a couple images: