I Have an Idea!
So, I am building on a goose-neck trailer and I drive a Prius… obviously I am going to need help when it comes to moving my house. Here are a few options I have considered, let me know if you have others!
1) I would rent a UHaul if it was just a standard hitch, but it isn’t. I have called everywhere to see about renting a truck with a goose-neck hitch, they just aren’t out there.
2) Plan ‘b’ has been to put an ad on Craigslist and find someone willing to move it for me with some sort of compensation OR
3) hire a tow truck, either would work ok but I would be tied on schedule, which is hard for me AND I would be out probably a couple hundred bucks every time I want to move… my next thought was
4) to install a goose-neck on my dad’s or my brothers’ truck which would cost near $800 and be sort of an inconvenience for them…
5) So, I had the idea to cruise over Craigslist, see what the prices were like on a truck that is able to pull it. Now I don’t mean a brand new truck, I mean an old, reliable type of farm truck, I mean it’s a farm trailer… why not go for the matched pair. Then the idea is that I can sell the truck back to someone else after it’s moved. As I got to looking at the trucks I had another idea!
6) One of the biggest issues I have had with downsizing my life is that I am a ‘crafty’ person, I like building things, I have a decent amount of tools that I would be storing somewhere or getting rid of… either way it is hard to use them if they aren’t with me. The welding truck below was what gave me the idea… service trucks are often made to be portable shops with toolboxes and storage throughout… I could get a truck that is able to become my sort of ‘shop’ AND pull my house when I need it too… I could probably even throw my plastic car on the porch and be all self contained when I want to move (joking!).
So that is where I am thinking now… just a quick look through CL and there are tons of options well under $4,000 bucks… With how low of a budget I have had on my house I don’t know that that is an option that is out of the realm of possibilities.
What are your thoughts, how have you, would you or do you move your house? or do you?
Here are some pictures of some of the trucks, I haven’t really looked at any in real life but they all seem to be decent deals: